The scaly covering of the silverfish makes it difficult for ants and spiders to grab it. It lives in warm, dry or damp places such as closets, and can be a pest: it eats starchy stuff, including flour, starch in clothing, and book bindings. It can survive without food for months.
1. Start by lightly drawing the long, slightly curved, pointed oval of the body, and a much smaller oval for the head.
2. Draw the segments of the thorax and abdomen.
3. Add the distinctive, three-part bristly tail.
4. Make three little legs on one side.
5. Add three legs on the other side. Draw antennae and the small mouth parts (maxillary palps).
6. Add texture and shading, and a slight cast shadow.