Tiny wingless springtails come in many varieties. Some types of springtail live on ice and snow! The furcula allows this type to jump several inches. Springtails may number several million per acre, scavenging and cleaning up. Usually they’re not considered pests.
1. Draw the head with eye, and three thorax segments.
2. Add the jointed antenna and front leg.
3. Draw two more legs.
4. Add the abdomen and the furcula.
5. Draw segments of the abdomen. Add the other antenna and front leg.
6. Add shading and patterns. See if you can make the springtail look shiny by leaving small white spots on the top of the head, thorax, and abdomen.